Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Crackpot Leaders of TPLACs

Stories abound about how crazy some dictators and despots are. Idi Amin for example would have large scale meetings with a room of dead ministers, or would consult a severed head that he kept in a freezer.

However, former President Mobuto of Zaire, it seems, is a bit nutty himself. This BBC Report has some interested things in it.

This is the most interesting part:

In his last hours in the city, President Mobutu had the remains of an old friend disinterred from their grave at Camp Chachi and cremated so that he could take them into exile with him.

They were the remains of the late president of Rwanda, Juvenal Habyarimana, who was assassinated on 6 April, 1994.

His death immediately triggered the genocide in which up to a million Tutsis and moderate Hutus were murdered.

The genocidal regime lost the war and fled to eastern Zaire and the protection of Mobutu Sese Seko. It has come full circle.

Pres. Mobuto might not come to Idi Amin's level of schizophrenia, but hey, disintering a friend and cremating him so they can be close... that's just sweet

4 comments:

Mads said...

If I die before any of you, I want you all to swear that you will not dig up my body, cremate it, and then move it somewhere else. I know you all want to spend the afterlife with me (who wouldn't?) but you'll just have to hedge your bets and hope for the best. Promise guys!

spy said...

I really can't promise anything. If we become the dictators of neighbouring countries, everything changes. Once we're dictators, the sky's the limit for, well, everything!

Mads said...

I only just noticed! You're shamelessly stealing my bandwith by directly linking to my 'atom feed' button! Shame - the extra few downloads could totally overload my completely free photobucket account... :)

That could also make a good t-shirt, btw: "Dictators: the sky's the limit". Sorta like a Nike or adidas ad... but not.

spy said...

No comment....